Wednesday, January 9, 2008

"Picasso in The Hague" Exhibition

At the moment we are quite busy with making our plan for the year 2008. It would be very boring for you to read about that. So I thought I would draw your attention to an exhibition, I visited during the holidays.
I think for us quilters it is important to get inspirations from other art forms, learn from them. You never know when you find your big idea.
I went with my guests to the Gemeente Museum in The Hague where you can see the Exhibition " Picasso in Den Haag" or shall I say Picasso in The Hague. The big part of the collection came from the Ludwig Museum in Cologne and it gives an overview of Picasso's entire carrier. The earliest work at the exhibition is a sketch, made of his father by Picasso, when he was 18. You can also see his early drawings and paintings from his early years in Paris, work from his Cubist phase, his Classical Period (like Harlequin with Folded Hands), the period of the Spanish Civil War and World War II. One of the amazing exhibits is the whole 100-print "Vollard Suite" in its entirety, which he created between 1930-1937. It was named after its publisher, the French art dealer and critic, Ambroise Vollard. The artist visualizes his obsessions, using neo-classical and classical subjects, like the artist's obsession with his model (Pygmalion), the transformation of the artist (Minotaur). This is also a tribute to his lover, Marie-Therese, who inspired him in creation of this masterpiece. I myself, admired and was attracted to the fine lines of his drawings in this series. Living my "obsession to colors" period I was also impressed by the colors of some of his other works and took a picture of them. May be one day when I'm looking for a color scheme.....

Bullfight, 1935

The "Vert-Galant" Park, 1944

Head of Woman with Hat, 1962

I hope you have a chance to visit the exhibition. While you are there in the Gemeente Museum don't miss out the other exhibitions, like the Rozenburg, if you are interested in porcelain. But let's leave something for the next blog.

Maria
www.northseaquilters.com


No comments: